Thursday, February 15, 2018

Reviews: The Last Mrs. Parrish




In The Last Mrs. Parrish, Constantine (actually the pen name of two sisters writing together) tells the story of Amber, a woman who feels no one sees her and is determined to be seen. She covets the life of Daphne, married to a rich and handsome husband, and does everything in her power to take that life for herself, including becoming the best friend Daphne can rely on. But it might be better for Amber to stay in the shadows, as she has a past with the ability to end all her power plays and bring her down.

I wanted to love this book. I've heard so many good things about it, it's all over book lovers' social media accounts, and it seems to be the book everyone is talking about. So when I finally made it to the top of the extensive hold list for a copy from the library, I was really excited.

The first part had me hooked. While Amber is highly unlikable, that is the point. Her scheming ways, the hint of something from her past lurking just out of view, the possibility that she will be found out, the possibility that she will get everything she wants...I flew through Part 1.

And then I got to Part 2.

While I absolutely appreciate a big twist in a book (actually one of my absolute favorite things to discover in a book I'm reading), the twist still has to make sense. It has to be rooted in some way to what has come before. It can't be shocking just to be shocking.This twist, while definitely surprising, felt out of left field to me.  Then Part 3, while satisfying in many ways, also felt a little too neat and tidy for what had come before.

This book definitely had potential, and it was by no means a bad read. It kept me turning pages quickly, wanting to know what was coming next. But I've read a lot better. If you are looking for a book with these kinds of themes-love triangle, jealously, replacement-pick up The Wife Between Us instead, which spins a twist that will make you gasp out loud but still makes sense when you look back.


No comments:

Post a Comment