Sunday, October 23, 2016

Some Read-A-Thon Reviews: Mini-Mysteries. Friday Barnes Girl Detective, and I Want My Mummy



Dewey's 24 Hour Read-A-Thon Book #1

I've loved mini-mysteries since I was a kid, and this was a fun collection. Some parts of it did read as dated, but it was great that the protagonist was a woman-- and I was even able to guess the solutions to some of the mysteries before turning the book upside down to check!


Dewey's 24 Hour Read-A-Thon Book #2

This was another great recommendation from my dad! Friday Barnes is a brilliant young detective who has enrolled herself in an exclusive private school, thanks to the reward money she received from solving a diamond heist. 

Friday may not understand making friends, or boys, but she understands perfectly well how to go about solving a mystery. Over the course of the book, she solves quite a few small cases, building up to discovering the truth behind the swamp man sightings behind the school.

Friday is absolutely the kind of character you want to spend more time with. I already added the next two books in the series to my wishlist!


Halloween Read-A-Thon Book #4

This was a collection of short mystery stories, many very creepy (which makes sense considering Alfred Hitchcock is the one who curated the collection--or at least has his name on the front of the book). Everything from human anger to supernatural forces are covered, some more successfully than others (as is typically the case in a short story collection, some stories are just stronger). I'm really glad, after reading this, that I own a few more Hitchcock collections, and look forward to reading them.




1 comment: