Monday, January 25, 2016

Jackaby by William Ritter




"Miss Rook, I am not an occultist," Jackaby said. "I have a gift that allows me to see truth where others see the illusion--and there are many illusions. All the world's a stage, as they say, and I seem to have the only seat in the house with a view behind the curtain." 

Abigail Rook has always wanted adventure. Fresh off a failed attempt to infiltrate an archaeological dig, she finds herself in a town in New England, desperately searching for a job. She stumbles onto an advertisement seeking an assistant, and finds herself suddenly working for R.F. Jackaby, a seer who solves mysteries the police can't quite seem to figure out themselves.

I have heard this book described as Sherlock Holmes meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I would say that is definitely accurate. The supernatural elements are expertly woven into the mystery, which lends a creepy and fascinating atmosphere to the book itself. The ending has a great twist, and no part of the book disappoints.

I look forward to reading more books in this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment