Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Downward Facing Death by Michelle Kelly



I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for a review. This did not effect my opinions of the book or the review itself.

There was a lot to like about this cozy mystery. As a vegetarian who meditates and likes yoga, having the protagonist be a woman opening up a vegetarian cafe/yoga studio was pretty fantastic. There were meditation tips at the end of most of the chapters, which was great as well.

And the ending! The ending had a twist I did not see coming, which always makes me happy, and the buildup was well-done. The setting of this story really came alive as well, as did the various characters. The one main "mean girl" did come across as somewhat one note, but the other characters felt well fleshed out.

The only real negative I can think of centered around the romance. I really enjoyed the love interest and their slow burn, but I felt that Kelly's writing got a bit hokey and cliched whenever it came to describing the more romantic elements of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment