Monday, September 7, 2015

Mystery Monday: Loonies by Gregory Bastianelli (ARC)


*Loonies by Gregory Bastianelli*

This was one of those books where I thought about stopping about thirty pages in, but I am glad I pushed through. While the book didn't end up being a three star read, it hovered right around two and a half to two and three quarters, and had some really suspenseful, scary, and interesting moments.

I suspect the original reason I almost stopped reading was because in those first few pages, a trunk with baby skeletons in it was found in an attic. I have a really hard time reading/watching things where bad things happen to children. But that trunk is the jumping off point for a mystery surrounding the possible return of a serial killer, a creepy old asylum, and some real characters populating the town of Smokey Hollow.

I definitely tend to read books featuring serial killers, mysteries, and/or asylums, which is why I requested a galley of this book. It got a little convoluted at times, and I had a hard time liking the main character or his wife a good percentage of the book. As the book got closer to its ending, it started to go over the line of entertaining to ridiculous, but the book as a whole was genuinely creepy and suspenseful, with a really interesting premise. It just didn't live up to its full potential.

2.75/5 stars

This is the first book I have finished for the R.I.P. Reading Challenge!




No comments:

Post a Comment